Sunday, September 9, 2012

E-mail: Curious About Your List Experience

Holy shit, people still e-mail me?


Hey Chumbalaya,

This is Eric, the purple necron player from the NOVA Invitational/Open. It was a pleasure to briefly talk with you on thursday, and to glance over and see you kick ass with the Necron foot horde during the Open. I'm very curious to hear how you feel your list performed at NOVA. After doing fairly well but having my wraiths eaten by small arms fire, I'm looking to add a bit of resiliency to my list. ...And that means Boyz. Mind taking a look at what I'm building and give me some feedback?

Necron Primary
Destroyer Lord: Warscythe, Weave 140
Destroyer Lord: Warscythe, Weave 140
5xWarriors in Night Scythe 165
5xWarriors in Night Scythe 165
5xWarriors in Night Scythe 165
6xWraiths w/ 2xWhip Coil 230
6xWraiths w/ 2xWhip Coil 230
Annihilation Barge: Tesla Cannon 90
Annihilation Barge: Tesla Cannon 90
Annihilation Barge: Tesla Cannon 90

Ork Allies
Mek: KFF 85
30xBoyz: 3xBig Shoota 195
30xBoyz: 3xBig Shoota 195

Basically the Destroyer Lords lead the Wraiths and tank wounds from them up front; they flank the boyz and provide a hell of a counter-assault. I've been thinking about adding Nobs w/ Power Klaws, but having trouble finding the points. Could always drop an annihilation barge or flyer, but both of those are rather fun.

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Eric

Hey Eric, thanks for the e-mail.  It does a lot to keep my ego at a healthy, ridiculous level.  It was great meeting you and all kinds of awesome folks at Nova, and the armies looked incredible.  Those purple Necrons looked great, any chance you've got some pictures to show off how much betterer they are than mine?

I think my Necrorks did quite well.  I got into the top bracket and even though I lost 2 games, they were very winnable and taught me a lot about how to use the army going forward.  Having that big pile of bodies clogging up midfield just leaves my shooting units a lot safer and puts pressure on the opposite side.  Focused fire, particularly cover-ignoring stuff, can get the Orks blown up, but they are incredibly durable otherwise.

I think a more combat-oriented bend would be plenty good.  The Wraiths and D Lord can lurk around, jumping over units/terrain to get their charge on while the Orks mill about taking bullets to the face and tying units down. You would probably be ok with just the one unit of Wraiths, which would free up a good chunk of points for Nobz, a Powerklaw on the KFF (to prevent challenge denial from gimping you) and whatever else you'd like to fit in (Scarabs, more Warriors, a Stalker, Deathmarks, Lootaz, etc).

Ultimately it comes down to your experience and preferences, so just play a load of games and find out what works for you.  I know I wouldn't be happy about seeing that across from me.

See you at Nova next year, and thanks again

No comments: